A man’s mind plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps
Finding Something New in Something Old
Written by Jim Coleman
“A man’s mind plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.” -Proverbs 16:9
Twenty years ago, my father needed a stint placed in one of the arteries of his
heart. My father was thin, and so am I. The fact that his heart needed attention
got my attention, so I decided immediately to get my heart, and general health,
in better shape. I started a jogging routine every other morning, early – about
6 a.m. for 30 minutes. My goal has been to get my heart rate to at least 120 beats
per minute and keep it there for the entire 30 minutes. I’ve always managed to run
about 2-12 to 3 miles within this time period.
One morning last December, I knew I had to get up especially early to have breakfast
with a friend. I didn’t want to awaken at 5:30 a.m., so I decided to jog the night
before. I was in for a treat. It was Christmas time, so when I began my run at 9:30
p.m., many of the homes I usually ran past in the rising morning sun had their Christmas
It was beautiful! What a delightful surprise…house after house after house…lights,
lights, lights…in all different arrangements…some all white, others sparkling
with many colours. I saw inflated Santas, reindeer, elves. I saw twinkling palm trees,
Christmas trains, Christmas packages, and Nativity scenes. I had blast!
I found my thoughts and eyes dancing, and before I knew it, my run was over – the
time had gone by much faster than usual because my soul had been absorbed in the
splendour of all the magnificent Christmas lights.
I confess that I do have the habit of falling into routine. I think most people
would say that I’m fairly predicable…probably all of us are in some way or another.
However, there’s tremendous joy in discovering new pleasures – sometimes even in
Our glorious and gracious God created the Universe. We live within a single solar
system of that Universe, on a planet that fortunately has various levels of predictability
– “routine” aspects – that we all depend upon. For instance, the sun comes up every
morning and sets every evening. Yet, God in His wonderful plan for you and me provides
variations on this theme…through the seasons of the year…the rising and setting
of the moon…various weather conditions…etc. Variables within predictability
– God is good, God is wise, and YOU are made in His image! How exciting!
What routines have you established in your life? You depend on these routines; we
all do. We each have an individual way of approaching our activities, our relationships,
and our acquisition of knowledge. This is what makes you unique from all of the
other millions of persons in the world around you. But, what surprises, what new
discoveries await you by altering your routine just a bit – or even a lot? How
could you let the Lord direct your steps more today?
Have you ever thought about varying your routine to embrace new and exciting possibilities?
Are you willing even to think about it? To try it?
May the LORD bless Nigeria, American and Israel and take care of us; May the LORD make His face shine upon us, And be gracious to us; May the Lord lift up His countenance upon us, And give us peace, In Jesus Christ Name, we pray! Amen!
- Satan didn’t know it; the first Christmas was just around the corner (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Lord teach us to pray (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Jesus is with You (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good. (richardangulo.wordpress.com)
- A Word From The Word “Prayer in the Morning” (haroldcameron.wordpress.com)
- For the broken-hearted (pjcockrell.wordpress.com)
- My Lord, My Lord (ourpoetrycorner.wordpress.com)
- Table Grace for Christmas Dinner (sjbrown58.wordpress.com)
- Asking God to save us, then putting Him in the back seat. (pastormikesays.wordpress.com)
- Stay clear of rebellion. When unity is useless (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Get Connected To God, Get connected To His Son Jesus Christ (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- The Destructiveness Of Sin (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Dear God I Commit ♥ (highlyfavored74.wordpress.com)
- The God Head: Team Players! (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- No Weapon formed against you shall prosper, and every tongue which raises against you in judgment you shall condemn. (Isaiah 54:17A) (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- To obey or not to obey… (sunshinelittleone.wordpress.com)
- Just a little praise! (ministerlp.wordpress.com)
- Anger at the Most High God (juancastillojr.wordpress.com)