Worldly Cares Are Thorns
Luke 8:14, “And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.”
This third type of ground is characteristic of a large part of the Body of Christ today. These are people who have received God‘s Word, committed themselves to it to the degree that they are able to remain faithful in persecution, but because of being occupied with the affairs of this life, the Word sown in their heart is choked and no fruit is produced. Just as weeds in a garden will steal all of the nutrients and starve the plant, so the pleasures of this life, if we allow them to dominate our thinking, will stop the fruit that the Word would have produced.
Throughout history, the Church has always grown in size and strength during persecution. This is because during persecution we get our priorities straight. We realize our life is in Jesus (Jn. 14:6) and not in things (Lk. 12:15), and we focus all of our attention on the Lord. However, prosperity has been far more damaging to the Body of Christ for the exact reason stated here in this verse. God wants to bless His children with things (Ps. 35:27; Mt. 6:33), but a preoccupation with these things will choke God’s Word and make it unfruitful. If we would follow God’s formula for prosperity found in Matthew 6:19-34, we would have the Word bringing forth fruit and we’d enjoy the physical blessings of this life, too.
Notice Jesus said that no fruit was brought to perfection. This type of person will exhibit some fruit, but it will always be small and far short of what it should be. Do you feel frustrated because you are just getting by and are not really experiencing the abundant life that Jesus came to give? (Jn. 10:10) Examine your lifestyle and see if the cares of this life, deceitfulness of riches, or pleasures of this life could be choking God’s Word.
May the LORD bless Nigeria, American and Israel and take care of us; May the LORD make His face shine upon us, And be gracious to us; May the Lord lift up His countenance upon us, And give us peace, In Jesus Christ Name, we pray! Amen!
- Abide in Christ Jesus (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- By their fruits you shall know them (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Sermon By Pastor E. A Adeboye. RCCG April Special Children’s Holy Ghost Service “Rising Stars” (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- The resurrection of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ from the dead changes everything (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Servant of his Father (christadelphians.wordpress.com)
- 120411 – George Hach’s Inner Disciplines Journal – Thursday (georgehachmyblog.wordpress.com)
- When will You forgive me? (prayersonline.net)
- Finding Strength in Our Weaknesses (dailybibleplan.com)
- Lift up your hearts! Maundy Thursday 1 Cor. 11.23-32 (deprofundisclamaviadtedomine.wordpress.com)
- Losing Your Salvation (bloodofthelamb.wordpress.com)
- The Sixth Station: Jesus is Scourged and Crowned with Thorns by Mark D. Roberts (trinityspeaks.wordpress.com)
- The challenge of the blessing (setwatchman.com)
- On a Rock or a Hard Place (or the Weeds) (prodigalchildren.com)